We're putting ESG at the heart of everything we do as a business
Teva UK & Ireland 2020 Environmental, Social and Governance Progress Report
For Teva, Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) means advancing health and equity through our medicines and across our business, minimising the impact of our operations and products on the planet and dedicating ourselves to quality, ethics and transparency.
At Teva we make a real difference. Globally we’ve set ourselves big targets:
- Increasing access to medicines globally by 2025
- Reducing Scope 1 and Scope 2 greenhouse gas emissions by 33% by 2030
- Putting ESG at the heart of everything we do as a business
Our 2020 ESG Progress Report for the UK and Ireland shares our activities, goals and progress
2020 was a challenging year for all of us, in the face of an unprecedented global pandemic. Like many companies, we had to adapt quickly to put in place new measures to ensure we continued to keep medicines moving for patients across the UK and Ireland, as well as the rest of our global supply chain.
Watch the highlights here:
Read the UK and Ireland ESG Report
Across every one of our sites, we’re making an effort to cut greenhouse gas emissions and encourage the responsible use of energy and natural resources.
We reduced Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions by 9.7% in Ireland and 17.6% in the UK:
- In 2020 Teva Ireland launched a pilot inhaler recycling campaign, the first nationwide recycling scheme for inhalers used to treat chronic respiratory conditions.
- Our Waterford team in Ireland replaced single use batteries with rechargeable ones across the site, as well as setting up a battery recharging station. A cross-functional team was also set up to extend the expiry date of lower case assembly parts of inhaler devices, which ultimately avoided the disposal of 460,000 units. The site is also committed to a zero waste to landfill policy as part of their waste management programme.
- Teva Greensteps was launched at Waterford, which has seen the Irish site switch to a fully renewable electricity supplier and create a 38,865m2 space for protected biodiversity.
- At our Castleford Head Office and distribution centre, all cardboard and plastic is recycled offsite to manufacture new products such as boxes, pallets, buckets and toys. Food waste is sent to the Veolia plant in Sheffield to be turned into energy, and our dried mixed waste is also recycled.
- At Teva's manufacturing and R&D site in Runcorn we have a zero waste to landfill policy.
- At our Larne R&D site, colleagues have come together to establish ‘Teva Green Scene’ – initiating and implementing eco-friendly initiatives across the site to encourage energy saving and recycling.
We took positive action in 2020 to improve the lives of our patients and support the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees and communities.
- To keep medicines moving for our patients we invested significantly to make sure our offices and plants were COVID-Safe.
- We wanted to say thank-you to healthcare professionals on the front line so we donated 200,000 tubs of Sudocrem to help with irritation caused by PPE.
- We also supported the UK government’s track and trace programme, repurposing a medicine to be used as part of the COVID-19 test process.
- We know that COVID-19 was particularly worrying for those patients who have chronic conditions such as asthma, MS or migraine. We published specialised content on our Life Effects platform, offering support and advice from other patients dealing with chronic conditions regarding topical issues such as mental health challenges and social isolation.
Complying with laws and regulations and operation our business to the highest standards is at the heart of what we do.
- We work with suppliers who share our values and embed social and environmental considerations into their own business practices.
- We play a leading role in several industry bodies to help fight for what’s right in our industry.
- We set up our first UK and Ireland Inclusion and Diversity working group to champion new ideas and challenge stereotypes, and we delivered 'unconscious bias' training for managers.
After delivering our refocused ESG strategy in 2020, we’re proud of what we’ve achieved and how we’re positively impacting people and our local communities across the UK and Ireland. ESG is at the heart of everything we do.
And as we continue to embed ESG into the way we do business, we’ll be ramping up our efforts to make a long lasting contribution to a healthier society and planet.